MIT-UTM Malaysia Sustainable Cities Program: 2018 Speaker Series
Monday, March 05, 2018 at 12:30pm to 2:00pm
Building 9, Room 9-450A
The MIT-UTM Malaysia Sustainable Cities Program is a five-year partnership between MIT and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Each year, a cohort of international Visiting Scholars spends five months in Malaysia to study and document sustainable city development efforts throughout the country. The Visiting Scholars then spend the spring semester at MIT, turning their findings into working papers and short videos that are shared with a worldwide audience. Seven Visiting Scholars from Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Pakistan and Vietnam have joined DUSP this semester and will present their research over three sessions on March 5, 7 and 14. Lunch will be served each day.
Monday, March 5:
1. “Key Determinants that Enhance Community Acceptance of Migrant Labor Settlements in the Iskandar Development Region, Johor” presented by Dr. Choong Weng Wai, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Geoinformation and Real Estate, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
2. “Challenges of NGOs Serving Refugees in Klang Valley, Malaysia” presented by Dr. Imdad Hussain, Assistant Professor, Centre for Public Policy and Governance, Forman Christian College, Pakistan
Wednesday, March 7:
1. “Sustainable Water Resources Management at the Community Level: a case of the Semantan River Basin, Pahang” presented by Dr. Mohammad Reza, Senior Lecturer and Fellow, Institute for Environment and Development, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
2. “Potential and Challenges of MyCREST: A Malaysian Initiative to Assess Carbon Emissions from Buildings” presented by Dr. Fadhlin Abdullah, Associate Professor, Faculty of Built Environment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Wednesday, March 14
1. “Public Transport and Bus Rapid Transport as a Tool of Decarbonization in Malaysia’s Transport Sector” presented by Dr. Chandrima Mukhopadhyay, Visiting Faculty, Summer Winter School, CEPT University, India
2. “Prospects and Challenges of Introducing Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles in Malaysia” presented by Dr. Abul Quasem Al-Amin, Professor, Institute of Energy Policy and Research, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia
3. “Mass Rapid Transit in Kuala Lumpur: Accessibility and Connectivity Challenges” presented by Dr. Vo Van Dut, Lecturer and Deputy Head of International Business Department, Can Tho University, Vietnam
For any questions, please contact Selmah Goldberg, Program Manager for the MIT-UTM Malaysia Sustainable Cities Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.