Disinformation and free speech: perspectives on the future of information
Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 12:00pm to 1:30pm
Building 14, The Nexus, Hayden Library (Room 14S-130)
160 MEMORIAL DR, Cambridge, MA 02139
Political discourse depends on the sharing of accurate information and an open exchange of ideas. Can we have both?
A panel of experts from a range of disciplines will share their perspectives on how fact, fiction, and opinion converge, diverge, and occasionally collide. Based on their research, the speakers will share their views on how access to accurate information aligns with free speech; how we can help people evaluate information; and much more.
- Adam Berinsky, Mitsui Professor of Political Science and Director of the MIT Political Experiments Research Lab
- David Karger, Professor of Computer Science and member of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
- David Rand, Erwin H. Schell Professor and Professor of Management Science and Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT
- Moderator: Alexia Hudson-Ward, Associate Director of Research and Learning, MIT Libraries
In-person event is open to current MIT community members only; lunch will be provided to in-person attendees who pre-register.
Live stream is available to anyone. Link will be emailed to registrants prior to the event. Streaming will begin at 12:15pm.
Pre-register for either option here. A link to the recording will be emailed to all registrants when it becomes available.
Accessibility: Our events are enriched by your presence and we are committed to making them accessible. Assistive listening devices are already available in The Nexus, but please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request any other accommodations.
Event co-sponsored by the MIT School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; MIT Sloan School of Management; and the MIT Libraries.
- Event Type
- Events By Interest
- Events By Audience
- Events By School
School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (SHASS), Sloan School of Management (Sloan)
- MIT Libraries, MIT Sloan School of Management, School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- Add to my calendar
No recent activity